Sam Roweis died unexpectedly on January 12, 2010.


He was a truly wonderful person; a beloved son, husband and father; and a treasured friend and colleague.

This is a place for all of us who were lucky enough to know Sam to share our memories and to help celebrate his life.
If you would like to add an article to this blog please contact samblog@linden-sahani.net. Or you may leave a comment on any article. (Comments are moderated: please bear in mind that this is a place to remember Sam and to help celebrate his life.)

There is also an album of photographs for which contributions are welcome. Instructions on how to contribute appear next to album.


Tuesday 6 April 2010

from Amy Ma

To the family of Sam Roweis, you have my sincerest condolences. Please be gentle with yourselves as you heal this loss and grieve and mourn the fact that we are all bereft of a wonderful person.

I was a fellow Shad-ite in exactly the same program as Sam (Waterloo 1989). I was shocked and saddened to learn of his unexpected passing through the Shad Valley website.

I have wonderful memories of Sam from that summer. His sense of humour was unique, and his intellect dazzled us all. He was a brilliant and original thinker who blazed his own path. He was older than his years in maturity, and had a compassionate side that was rare for people of our age group. Though I didn't keep in touch with him after our 4 weeks together in the halls of Conrad Grebel and the UW campus, I am not surprised that he led an unparalleled career in academia before his unfortunate and untimely death.

As a parent, my heart goes out to his twin daughters, and I hope that they and their mother will be surrounded by much love, courage and support as they carry on without their beloved Sam. I cannot imagine what Sam's wife must be going through, but I hope that the memories that I and many others share of Sam will be of some comfort. That he lives on in our collective memories. To know that we will always remember him, and in that respect we keep a bit of him alive.

Amy Ma
89W Shad participant
now a stay-at-home mom of 3 somewhere in Montreal, Quebec, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment