Sam Roweis died unexpectedly on January 12, 2010.


He was a truly wonderful person; a beloved son, husband and father; and a treasured friend and colleague.

This is a place for all of us who were lucky enough to know Sam to share our memories and to help celebrate his life.
If you would like to add an article to this blog please contact samblog@linden-sahani.net. Or you may leave a comment on any article. (Comments are moderated: please bear in mind that this is a place to remember Sam and to help celebrate his life.)

There is also an album of photographs for which contributions are welcome. Instructions on how to contribute appear next to album.


Sunday 7 February 2010

from Haris Jabbar

I am an avid listener of Professor Roweis' lectures posted on videolectures.net. It is such a good experience listening to him and watching his effortless style to explain stuff in such an interesting manner. It was one such lecture that I was watching about half an hour back that prompted me to write to him and congratulate him on his wonderful lecture. When I googled "Sam Toronto" as he had so fondly put on many of his title slides and clicked on the NYU link that appeared, I could not believe my eyes that he had passed away. I really couldn't! I searched about a dozen or so articles/news before I realized that it is true, that such a remarkable person is no more amongst us. I had almost looked forward to meet him one day when I visit Canada or USA, but I guess that's not to be and to be honest, the news has probably not sunk in till now.

I don't know what happened there but I want to convey to Meredith that he will be missed, not only by his family and friends but by this one person from Pakistan and by all those people whose lives he had touched through his talks and through his demeanor.

Regards to Meredith and love to Aya and Orli.

No comments:

Post a Comment