Sam Roweis died unexpectedly on January 12, 2010.


He was a truly wonderful person; a beloved son, husband and father; and a treasured friend and colleague.

This is a place for all of us who were lucky enough to know Sam to share our memories and to help celebrate his life.
If you would like to add an article to this blog please contact samblog@linden-sahani.net. Or you may leave a comment on any article. (Comments are moderated: please bear in mind that this is a place to remember Sam and to help celebrate his life.)

There is also an album of photographs for which contributions are welcome. Instructions on how to contribute appear next to album.


Monday 1 February 2010

from Mark Bedworth

I met Sam a few times around the turn of the millennium. I particularly remember attending one of his lectures at UCL on HMMs and their generalisations; despite having worked with them myself for 15 years or more by then. I expected to learn nothing and attended just to say “hi”. How wrong I was! His enthusiasm for teaching and his joy of knowledge shone through the whole lecture and reminded me why we all liked the subject, why we all liked the intellectual challenge, and why we all liked Sam. A decade later and I still recommend his papers as a model of explanation: how to make something complicated and impenetrable seem simple and enjoyable – a rare quality indeed. I only learnt of Sam’s untimely death today and feel so sad that his family and our community have lost such a special guy. Remembered always.

No comments:

Post a Comment