Sam Roweis died unexpectedly on January 12, 2010.


He was a truly wonderful person; a beloved son, husband and father; and a treasured friend and colleague.

This is a place for all of us who were lucky enough to know Sam to share our memories and to help celebrate his life.
If you would like to add an article to this blog please contact samblog@linden-sahani.net. Or you may leave a comment on any article. (Comments are moderated: please bear in mind that this is a place to remember Sam and to help celebrate his life.)

There is also an album of photographs for which contributions are welcome. Instructions on how to contribute appear next to album.


Monday 18 January 2010

from Bill Freeman

Even though I only knew Sam through conference interactions, and then through his stay at MIT, I always felt he was a special friend. I loved to talk with him; he was always upbeat. He would cheer me up, if I wasn't, and get me excited about some new thing that he was excited about. We collaborated on one paper, the result of one such conversation.

His lectures were delightful; he was informal, enthusiastic, and always clear. He would show the audience something simple and
elegant, that in hindsight was clearly the right thing to do, although beforehand we had no idea.

A long review of a Neural Computation article that I co-authored ten years ago ended with "Good job, guys!". It reveals my image of Sam that I've always assumed those words were from him; it's the kind of thing he would say.

I've appreciated reading the other postings by his many friends. My heart goes out to Meredith and to all of Sam's family.

No comments:

Post a Comment