Sam Roweis died unexpectedly on January 12, 2010.


He was a truly wonderful person; a beloved son, husband and father; and a treasured friend and colleague.

This is a place for all of us who were lucky enough to know Sam to share our memories and to help celebrate his life.
If you would like to add an article to this blog please contact samblog@linden-sahani.net. Or you may leave a comment on any article. (Comments are moderated: please bear in mind that this is a place to remember Sam and to help celebrate his life.)

There is also an album of photographs for which contributions are welcome. Instructions on how to contribute appear next to album.


Tuesday 19 January 2010

from Naraindra Prashad

I worked as the Financial Officer in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Toronto in 2001 when Sam Roweis joined the department. In that capacity, I would communicate with new faculty on a financial level (payroll, research grants etc.). I contacted Sam while he was still in London preparing for his move to Toronto. On the first few email exchange, my salutations to Sam was "Dear Prof. Roweis…..", until he finally wrote back to me saying "Please call me Sam". A few weeks later, a bubbly young man showed up in my office; shorts, t-shirt, running shoes and a backpack. With a large smile on his face, he said "Hi, I'm Sam Roweis....." and went on! I quietly thought, I agree with you, I couldn't call you anything but "Sam"! (smile). For the following four years that I remained in the department, it was always a delight when Sam would drop by the Chair's office. He immediately brightened up any room; he was a pleasure to work with and was a treasured addition to the department, and to the University. May you rest well, and may your beloved family be well taken care of.

Sincerely,

Naraindra

No comments:

Post a Comment