Sam Roweis died unexpectedly on January 12, 2010.


He was a truly wonderful person; a beloved son, husband and father; and a treasured friend and colleague.

This is a place for all of us who were lucky enough to know Sam to share our memories and to help celebrate his life.
If you would like to add an article to this blog please contact samblog@linden-sahani.net. Or you may leave a comment on any article. (Comments are moderated: please bear in mind that this is a place to remember Sam and to help celebrate his life.)

There is also an album of photographs for which contributions are welcome. Instructions on how to contribute appear next to album.


Thursday 14 January 2010

from Sham Kakade

I met Sam as TA in John Hopfield’s AI/neuro course during my last undergrad year at Caltech. Due to Sam’s dedication to TAing, he was a big factor in me switching into machine learning, and, later, in me going the Gatsby unit. We overlapped in London for his postdoc where he was both a great colleague professionally and a close friend personally. His level of energy was fantastic — when we were climbing, skiing, jamming on problems, (even when he was my TA), he could push me to my limit like few others. This level of energy combined with his positivity were inspiring to me and all who new him.

From the Blue Mts near Sydney, after ICML 2002:
http://stat.wharton.upenn.edu/~skakade/pics/SamSham.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment