Sam Roweis died unexpectedly on January 12, 2010.


He was a truly wonderful person; a beloved son, husband and father; and a treasured friend and colleague.

This is a place for all of us who were lucky enough to know Sam to share our memories and to help celebrate his life.
If you would like to add an article to this blog please contact samblog@linden-sahani.net. Or you may leave a comment on any article. (Comments are moderated: please bear in mind that this is a place to remember Sam and to help celebrate his life.)

There is also an album of photographs for which contributions are welcome. Instructions on how to contribute appear next to album.


Friday 15 January 2010

from Kim Jones

Sam and I were close friends in high school and kept in touch through undergrad. Sadly, less so since. From afar, I was pleased and proud that he seemed to be doing so well personally and professionally. I was lucky enough to have Sam write me some letters, which I’ve kept. I can’t reproduce the diagrams or asides, but I thought I’d share some highlights:

One complete letter:

Some real simple stuff:
Been working hard.
Physics lab.
Chem lab formal report.
Chem midterm…

Hey – I bought a stereo with my prize money (some of it). It’s really nice. CD, double tapes w/ auto reverse, amp, graphic eq, tuner, remote, speakers, timer, etc. I love it. It proves my theory that money is only good if it converts itself into useful objects or fun experiences.

And – I’m going to see Madam Butterfly @ the Elgin with Alex!! Yippee, I love the production. He’s got the best seats in the house + tickets to the cast/crew party after since it’s opening week. Wow. We’re going to have a tacky tie contest, but I think I’ll win. Mine has green LEDs which “chase” up and down the outside of the tie (the tie is striped). [Insert tie diagram, complete with arrows] It’s totally disgusting, he’s gonna love it. Well, work calls. Gotta fly. Hope to hear from you soon.

P.S. didn’t buy this stamp either


An excerpt from another:

Had the most bizarre argument with a lady at the cafeteria today. I went and asked for “just some garlic bread please” and was told that it only came with spaghetti. So, I looked at her and laughed, and asked for garlic bread and spaghetti – which she promptly gave me. I took the garlic bread and tried to give her back the spaghetti and – get this – she wouldn’t take it. I kept laughing and asking her if she’d rather I threw it away and she kept saying that yes she would. So finally I gave up and just ate the damn stuff even though I didn’t want it – I need to gain weight anyway (back up to 139 now!).

2 comments:

  1. 139! It was obviously a secret plot on the cafeteria lady's part to get some meet on this poor boy's bones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I remember that tie.

    ReplyDelete